July 12, 2024

GOT MOLD?

There's no way to sugarcoat it: Mold is an unwelcome guest in any home. And like your unpredictable cousin Harry, it can show up without

warning, even in the cleanest abodes. Mold is a type of fungus that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It can grow almost anywhere there is moisture and a temperature of between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

    The most common type of mold, called mildew, is easy to spot. It's the black stuff you see in the grout lines in your shower, on damp walls and outdoors on the surface of deck boards and painted siding, especially in damp and shady areas. To test for mildew, dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, it's probably just dirt.

    Besides being unsightly, mold can cause health problems, including hay fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. More seriously, mold can cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.

    To get rid of minor mold and mildew infestations, disinfect the area with a mild bleach and water solution, then seal with several coats of a primer/sealer and repaint with washable paint. Improving the ventilation in damp areas of your home, such as the bathroom, will tend to minimize mold problems. For more extensive mold infestations, contact a professional who can help you determine the best way to deal with it. [tags]mold,home sales,real estate,home inspections[/tags] San Diego real estate agents

3 thoughts on “Mold in Your Home?

Comments are closed.